MVVM is an architecture pattern and stands for Model-View-ViewModel. MVVM pattern ties together the user interface and logic adding great features including data merging and commands. John Goosman introduced this architecture pattern in 2005. A combination of model, view, and view model completes the MVVM architecture, and the view model works as a mediator.
As data binding or data merging is playing a major role in MVVM, 100% testing scenarios are covered when developers are using this pattern compared to other patterns. One of the main advantages of MVVM is the decoupling of business logic and keeping the division of code segments. Each and every file and class has a special independent goal and based on this reason code stays clean and reusable. The data flow is distributed streams and can be obtained by the user accordingly.
MVVM architecture pattern is divided into three individual layers, the Presentation layer, Domain layer, and Data layer.
MVVM pattern flow:-
As per the MVC and MVP pattern, the model manages full data and known as the data model. Model engagement to expose the data and provide a view model after getting the data from different sources including local databases or as well as from the network database. Generally, the data model layer contains the entire business logic.
View stands for the visualization of the data, it is the same as MVC or MVP pattern. The view is a user-interface that is liable for promoting and managing the data through user events. View passes the data to the ViewModel in the form of data streams. Once ViewModel has the desired output to the user query, It again gives this data back to view.
ViewModel does all the logical processes on the data recovered from the DataModel. It receives the data streams from the DataModel and ties them collectively to do further actions Once ViewModel has prepared the data, it transfers the data to the View layer in form of the data streams too.
In this pattern, the DataModel is comfortable with the existence of the data generator. Full ViewModel acts individually and doesn’t have any idea about the presence of the DataModel as well as the View.
Advantages of MVVM architecture:-
- The code can be easily testable with MVVM. It covers 100% testing scenarios so it will be helpful for quality assurance.
- MVVM structure is highly used so it will be easy to maintain the project. Developers can modify or add features with ease.
- Review at any stage.
- Create different components to enhance the testing process.
- The package composition is even more straightforward to operate.
- This pattern covers more testing scenarios, it helps developers for unit testing and creates clean and bug-free code.
- In this model, developers are allowed to write custom XML attributes with the use of adapters.
Need a consultation?
Drop us a line! We are here to answer your questions 24/7.